Monday, May 24, 2010

So...I did it...I taught my first college level course today!!! They called me Mr. Aiken and everyone took notes, and watched and waited to see what I would say next, after class I was a part of a conversation that started with "my other professors....". The whole experience was a bit surreal!

I went into the school last Friday to see my classroom and spent the weekend reading, working on presentation and going over my lesson plan. Last night was a blurr, I spent nearly six hours preparing and slept for nearly six, woke up well before my alarm; and reviewed the plans one more time.

Drove to class in the snow, yes, the snow, latest measurable snow in SLC since 1977. The snow didn't help the day feel more real. Class went well but I was hoping for an amazing success. This is why teaching is a skill and art form, the day was not an amazing success? I covered the material, but I read more slides than I would have liked to and was less engaging than I had hoped. I thought I was prepared but in front of class had to refer to my notes more often than I would have liked. Overall my session went off without a hitch, but I have a lot to think about and am excited to try this again. I forget how it was to lead my first retreat or how it was to begin my first team meeting, these are skills I can perform at a moments notice now and am confident in their success every time. Teaching I believe will take some time....More practice, more practice, more practice....29 more sessions to go this term, wish me well :) (and don't forget to the feed the fish)

1 comment:

  1. his quote is pretty good...don't like his story so wierd. jeez

    ReplyDelete